Re: export import : german special chars not visible in target -db

From: Norman Dunbar <norman.dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: 23 May 2003 08:53:27 -0700

Orca777 <member28638_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<2914650.1053680104_at_dbforums.com>...
> Hi;
> We have a source db having character set UsAscci 7 Bit, but german
> special chars 'Δί..' are stored too and on the client the special chars
> are visible!
>
> Now an export is done, and an import is done to a WE8ISO.. DB.
> The german chars are not visible any more.
>
> I know that this has something to do with NLS_LANG-Settings.
> can you give me a tip getting the data right stored
> in the target -db?
>
> Regards
> Orca

Hi Orca777,

I've seen this problem recently at work. There is a note on metalink which details how to get around the problem. Basically, the source database has a 7 bit character set but manages to store 8 bit characters in it, however, the export is exporting only the 7 bits or the import is importing only 7 bits and so after the import, the accented characters are effectively lost.

If I remember correctly, the source database needs to have its character set altered to make it 8 bit prior to exporting. Now, because an export won't import correctly, you'll need a cold backup before you start !

Regards,
Norman.

--
if at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not the sport for you.