Re: Which one is better 1 connection lots of open cursors - more connections less open cursors

From: Norman Dunbar <Oracle_at_MSSQLBountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 07:49:42 +0100

Daniel Morgan wrote:

<SNIP>

> I'm still trying to figure out how any well written code has 300
> simultaneously open cursors.

Daniel,

we use Uniface at work as a 4GL application generator - which it does quite well and is multi-platform without any changes to the generated code. So Windows compiled 'forms' will run on Unix (many flavours) in character mode or Motif or X and so on.

Support from Compuware is abysmal - if you think Oracle Support is bad (and I don't), wait till you try these guys !

Anyway, Uniface applications have a parameter file with a setting for Open Cursors and the app keeps opening cursors until it hits the limit. If it needs a new cursor, it siply scans its list and reuses one. So if you confgure the app to have 300 cursors, it will use them.

Our own application - a huge financial, stock control, installment credit, customer, workflow, arrears management (you get the drift) package - has 1100 max cursors on the database and 1050 on the app. Scary or what ?

Cheers,
Norman.

PS. On the other hand, if I was writing the same app in C++ or PL/SQL, I wouldn't even try to have that many cursors required. Actually, I probably wouldn't even begin to write the app !

--
Remove a certain other database to reply :o)