Re: Stop users from connecting to database

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:38:14 -0500

The code below worked in our 8.1.7.4 test database on Solaris 8. But, of course, you would need to test in your environment and probably put something like Oracle accounts (batch jobs) in the table and then only allow those accounts in the table and then maybe only if the sysdate time is during the window of time you are concerned about. But, with more checks, the only other thing is although I don't see any performance degradation for connects, it makes me wonder if this would be a problem in a production database with many connects happening at the same time. Also, I noticed it puts entries in the alert.log for connect failures. This could present a problem for anyone who doesn't monitor the alert.log with a script (and reduce the size when it gets too big). Otherwise, an alert.log could grow so big , it might fill up your disk ?

Note: I copied this from an IOUG 2003 paper by Joseph Trezzo (TUSC) (Title=NEW DATABASE TRIGGERS: AN EXPANDED ARCHITECTURE WITH EXTREME VALUE), and modified it some (mainly the comments and checking for cursor%FOUND). Joe has given me permission to post this. Thanks Joe.

.
.
.

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER logon_allow_trigger AFTER LOGON ON DATABASE