Re: statspack report - SQL*Net data stuff

From: Antoine BRUNEL <antoinebrunel/yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 23:46:21 +0200

Hi from Paris

what is true, is that "SQL*Net messages to/from" are idle events, "more data to/from client" is saying you are facing a bandwith problem.

Look at theses statistics on the perfstat report:

SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client / seconds -> in order to know how frequent communication is, hence limited by network latency bytes received/send via SQL*Net from client / seconds -> both cumulated, to know the required bandwith

If you see that clients are making too frequent calls and roundtrips, then you should try to increase number of rows returned at each fetch (with ODBC, rowset), if bandwith is required, then your only choice is to increase network adapters, and switches, ....

you can still try to increase SDU/TDU size for SQL*Net related trafic (have a look at 'Net administrator guide' from RTFM).