Re: URGENT! shared memory realm does not exist

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 May 2003 10:39:15 -0700

"elziko" <elziko_at_NOTSPAMMINGyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<3ecc8cf1$0$12999$afc38c87_at_news.easynet.co.uk>...
> I have an Oracle server running (Personal Edition 8.1.7) and on that I'm
> using two databases. When my machine starts up I try and access one of the
> databases and I get the following error:
>
> ORA-0134: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>
> Some times this happens for both my databases, sometimes just for one of
> them, sometimes for both.
>
> I have absolutely no idea why this is happening but from looking around in
> Google if I:
>
> Run: svrmgrl.exe
> Then I type: 'connect internal' followed by the password.
> Then: 'startup open'
>
> This causes both databases to startup again just fine. However, this machine
> is going to a client as a demo and it will be restarted often! How do I
> solve the above problem without having to resort to svrmgl.exe every time?
> This is really urgent!

known issue in 8.1.7.0.0 on win32.
what patchset are you running?
I'd recommend that you apply the latest full patchset (8.1.7.4.1) after thoroughly reading the readme.htm for that patchset.

check that the service is set to automatic. check that the instance is set to start when the service is started.

Pd Received on Thu May 22 2003 - 12:39:15 CDT