Re: Background processes

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 20:32:09 +0400

> Can anyone tell me what initiates the Oracle background processes which are
> named
>
> ora_j000_SID
> ora_j001_SID ...

These are Job Queue Processes (formerly known as SNPn - Snapshot Processes). There also should be CJQ0 process, which is Job Queue Coordinator process - this process coordinates the Jnnn processes and controls what and when they execute. JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES initialization parameter controls how much Jnnn processes an instance can have.

Further reading is available at http://tahiti.oracle.com. Oracle Concepts - Process Architecture is the required reading. Managing Job Queues in the Database Administrator's Guide should also shed some light on Job Queues and how jobs are managed and executed.