Re: How to make lock escalation look good...

From: joe buhl <joseph.buhl_at_vspan.com>
Date: 22 May 2003 08:39:44 -0700

> This is interesting. Does your application somehow spread
> I/O across pages of "hot" tables? ...........

We do have clustered indexes on some tables. This of course inserts the data according to the index and would have the potential to spread the inserts out. We use clustered indexes to aid in retreival of range queries. We have not used them to solve hot spots at the end of heap tables. We are carefull with clustered indexes they cause there own issues with page splits and row forwarding and such.

I think not having issues is a function of several things.

-Having enough memory that we don't have to go to disk much. -I think that using Veritas quick i/0 files system combined with decent disk array helps.

-We are not heavy on deletes.

-Another biggy. We process many 100's of transactions per minute not 1,000's
 Thats why I said page level has worked well for us.

We are really heavy on the queries. Lots of quries. I would say we are light OLTP, heavy query system. We are heavly indexed. Thats why the allpages (index and data) locking scheme caused us issues on the hot tables.

jab Received on Thu May 22 2003 - 10:39:44 CDT