Re: DB2 DBA wants to learn Oracle

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:23:34 GMT

There will be many fine suggestions for recommended reading

My suggestion, especially for potential converts, is O'Reilly's "Oracle Essentials" (see http://oracle.oreilly.com for details). This is a high level book that cuts across the whole product line and presernts all the terminology at the level that will make the Oracle docco a reasonable read. (I've given that to a number of manager, ex-SQL Server gurus who wanted to convert, and comp sci students who wanted a quick start - all with good success.)

But - the first place is to print a list of the documents & titles (I like the list from 'Show All Books' on OTN.) And then dive into the database Concepts Manual.

I understand they went out of business, but Wrox' "Expert One on One" by Tom Kyte is mandatory - get onto Amazon and snag a copy while supplies last! (Anything by Tom is mandatory)

/Hans