Re: DB2 DBA wants to learn Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 06:51:19 -0700

dotyet wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I am a DB2 DBA and now I also want to learn oracle 9i. i am already in
> possession of the oracle documentation. it's just that oracle is a
> gigantic ship and I am not clear where to board it from. any pointers
> as to where to start from will be a big help.
>
> my environment is oracle 9i 9.0.1 (i guess this is the correct release
> number?????) and redhat linux 7.3
>
> i have already installed oracle on this machine and have created a
> user for my self.
>
> thanks,
> dotyet

I'd upgrade from 9.0.1 to 9.2 but that's not a big issue.

Start with the Oracle concepts and architecture information available at http://tahiti.oracle.com

Then create a project for yourself ... something you could easily accomplish in DB2 and do it in Oracle the Oracle way.

If there is a college or university in your area with a continuing ed program check it out for classes.

The best way to get wet is to dive into the water.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu