Re: Is it possible to check for objects that have been lock for 2 minutes or more in Oracle9i?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 May 2003 05:33:15 -0700

jeffyee_at_hotmail.com (Jeffrey Yee) wrote in message news:<ec4cec95.0305212150.52e1c54f_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there is a way to check for objects that have been lock
> for 2 minutes or more, in Oracle9i database. Please advice. Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Jeffrey

If you are talking row level locks then the answer is no, because Oracle does not keep track of row level locks in the SGA but rather stores them in the data block with the data (see ITL)

You can see object level locks that are taken out to prevent object modification while the DML is in process by looking at v$lock. But you should only care about locks that have a waiter. If a job holds a lock for five minutes, but no other session is interested in updating the row then it is not a problem.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu May 22 2003 - 07:33:15 CDT