Re: truncate command 8.1.7. locally managed tablespaces

From: Bob <where_was_you_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 22 May 2003 04:37:19 -0700

I'd need more convincing about the many extents don't matter pr because We did a full export import of the same data base with a complete new setup. The result did reduce full scans somewhat but not by anything like 5 times and the long running 'on line' query for OTA went from one hour to 2 hours. Like I said currently there is no choice but to stick with the existing set up for several months. What we seem to have here is an hybrid neither dictionary managed or locally managed has documented. Way to prove it is to export the date truncate and bring the tables back using small next extent size and no increase. By the logic above two extents should give the same performance as 500 if I get the chance I will repeat the exercise. Some of the performance issues are down to pure bad sql (Oracle's) which have been partially fixed in later releases but not currently an option for this 'frozen site'. Pr is ok as long as it translates into experience. I only raised the original topic to address the 'feature' on truncate not start a forest fire on the totally inadequate Oracle maintenance routines. Received on Thu May 22 2003 - 06:37:19 CDT