Re: N1 And Other Changes To The Data Center

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:13:00 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3ECC5A9E.A2A771E2_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Tonight I chaired the WSA (Washington Software Alliance) Database SIG
> meeting and our speaker was from Sun Microsystems.
>
> It was my first in-depth exposure to N1 (HP and IBM have their
> tradenames for it too) which allows the dynamic swapping of resources in
> the data center. What I found most interesting from the database
> standpoint was what the implications of this technology to licensing
> agreements.
>
> What will Oracle do when you can install on a 1 CPU machine and then
> make CPUs on other machines available dynamically? Charge by the CPU
> tick? And if so how will usage be reported and billing accomplished. Or
> what if I install on a 10 CPU machine but make 6 of those CPUs available
> as part of a pool for processing non-Oracle jobs?

I'd love to be proven wrong but since the licensing agreement for Std Edition shows that you cannot install it on a machine that is "capable" of housing more than 4 processors (even if you only actually have 2) I'd suspect a wild attempt to say "well you could allocate 32 processors to oracle at any point - stump up the cash buster"

:(

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA