Re: Oracle Lite

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 05:21:24 GMT

Burt Peltier wrote:

> I normally work with a "real" database, and was curious about Oracle Lite.
> But, I am having a hard time finding system requirements for running Oracle
> Lite (8i/4.0 or 9i/5.0) on Windows 2000.
>
> Please answer if you know :
> - How much disk space does the software take up?
> - How much memory does it use?
> - Are there any processes running in the background?
> - Can I connect to it with tools like sqlplus, TOAD, etc. . I have seen
> something on MSQL and using ODBC . Is that all can access it?
> - Anything else - feel free to comment.
>
> From what I have seen so far, it almost appears that it is more like MS
> Access - 1 file , but more limited in usage? I admin my impression may be
> way off.

My info is relatively old but should give a valid idea ... and a request to any/all who have more recent info to please correct me!

OLite was orginally designed as a Java-based sync store for disconnectable systems. My understanding is it provides a JDBC connection so your Java app could be pointed to either the OLite store or the big Enterprise data store. In addition, it is bi-directionally sync'able with the enterprise database. IIRC, it does have a full SQL-99 engine but no PL/SQL engine - it's designed to be a data store, not an RDBMS! There are no processes in the background as all processing is handled either by the Java app or by the mothership in a 'deferred processing' mode.

So your field sales or support rep could sync the latest price list, the truck's inventory, and today's calls on his/her Palm or laptop from the mothership, leave on the calls, update the changes during the day and resync at night - or via modem, etc. - to update the DB back in the office.

Two years ago, the Windows version had a 1M RAM and 5M disk footprint. I recently found out (in these forums) that a Linux version is available now - no experience whatsoever (yet).

Again, AFAIK, the only connectivity is through JDBC so tools like SQLPlus, toad, etc. will likely not get through.

It is not a competitor to Access. It is not a cheap way to learn SQL.

There used to be a great section on OTN for this. Can I assume you've looked and it seems to have disappeared? Received on Thu May 22 2003 - 00:21:24 CDT