N1 And Other Changes To The Data Center

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 22:05:34 -0700

Tonight I chaired the WSA (Washington Software Alliance) Database SIG meeting and our speaker was from Sun Microsystems.

It was my first in-depth exposure to N1 (HP and IBM have their tradenames for it too) which allows the dynamic swapping of resources in the data center. What I found most interesting from the database standpoint was what the implications of this technology to licensing agreements.

What will Oracle do when you can install on a 1 CPU machine and then make CPUs on other machines available dynamically? Charge by the CPU tick? And if so how will usage be reported and billing accomplished. Or what if I install on a 10 CPU machine but make 6 of those CPUs available as part of a pool for processing non-Oracle jobs?

Just thought I'd open this up for general discussion as it appears we will all be facing this in a year or two at the most.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu