Re: How to make lock escalation look good...

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 21 May 2003 14:32:53 -0700

joseph.buhl_at_vspan.com (joe buhl) wrote in message news:<f87cf429.0305210839.25a17332_at_posting.google.com>...

Thanks for the usefull reply, Joe.

> most. When a table starts showing contention numbers we move it down
> to datapages locking. So far we have about 10 hot tables we moved to
> datapages and 0 row lock tables. We have about 250 plus tables total.

This is interesting. Does your application somehow spread I/O across pages of "hot" tables? As in for example INSERTs going to different pages rather than the last page? Or updates always being spread across all pages in a table rather than on those storing the latest data entered? I'm interested in knowing what sort of strategy do you folks use to avoid these problems. I used to work with page-locked databases and we had to go through quite a few "tricks" to avoid "hot" pages. Not a problem if one knows what can be done. I'm curious as to how much control you folks have over this and what you use, if anything.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Wed May 21 2003 - 16:32:53 CDT