Re: What else against 9.0.1

From: Peter van Rijn <p.vanrijnRM_at_THISzhew.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 15:59:41 +0200

"Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> schreef in bericht news:2687bb95.0305210537.5e464c2d_at_posting.google.com... > "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3ecb4ffd$0$16256$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > Ask them if they apply the policy of desupporting
> > the latest version of database software to ALL
> > database suppliers.
> >
> > Or is this an "Oracle special"?
> >
> > Seriously, get as heavy as you can on them.
> > Who's paying the $$$ here? Your company or them?
> >
> > It's them that have to run, not you!
> > Or is one of your bosses on the payola?
> >
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Nuno Souto
> > wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam
> > "Peter van Rijn" <p.vanrijnRM_at_THISzhew.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > > Last week one of our software vendors has been trying to get the
middleware
> > > product Verastream (WRQ) working with our 9.2.0 (test) database. So
far they
> > > haven't been very successful and they (i.e. WRQ) suddenly decided to
change
> > > their strategy: they don't support 9.2.0 anymore!!
> > >

> Peter, add the fact that Oracle 10 is nearing release.  I have heard
> November of this year but I do not have a source.
>
> You might point out that there are other middleware solutions
> available on the market including IBM's MQ Series and that JAVA has
> builtin communication features that make writing a system feasible for
> many simple from A to B and back situations.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Hi Mark,

Thanks. What makes it more difficult is that I'm not directly involved with WRQ, the middleware vendor. It's our application vendor who decided to use Verastream (formerly known as SuperNova). And I don't know how hard they want to push. And they most certainly are not willing to spend time and money to use other middleware. They know we hardly have an alternative for their software.

What I really was looking for are a few juicy stories about how bad 9.0.1 was, and how glad we should be that the maginificent 9.2.0 is now available ;-)

regards,
Peter Received on Wed May 21 2003 - 08:59:41 CDT