Re: Recomended max datafile size

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 21 May 2003 06:19:53 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3ecb549f$0$16259$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Just from the "performance point of view", none
> whatsoever. From the reliability point of view,
> you may well be advised to stay <2Gb, or <4Gb, or
> <64Gb, depending on the OS type and version
> and the combination of that and Oracle version.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam
> "Robert" <grobert_at_azet.sk> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is there any recomandation about maximum size of datafile in Oracle
> > just from the performance point of view. For now I use max datafile
> > size 2Gb on OLTP system(SAP R/3).
> >
> > Regards
> > Robert

Robert, I agree with Numo and would like to add that some consideration be given to your backup strategy when selecting your file size of choice. That is if your backups go to tape or are copied to tape and you do not have a tape management system then you might want to size them so a set number of files fit a tape, while if you have a tape management system capable of spanning files accross tape then size is less an issue. Consider rman vs manual backups needs and resources verse say the need to compress backups as they are made etc...

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed May 21 2003 - 08:19:53 CDT