Monitoring local transaction outcomes for external text indexes

From: Thomas Rask Thomsen <thomas_rask_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:25:11 +0200

I am looking for a way to retrieve callbacks/events for each transaction outcome (committed or rolled back) for local transactions on Oracle9i.

I have considered the possibility of creating a trigger on V$TRANSACTION, but Oracle does not seem to allow this, since it is a so-called dynamic view.

It is important for us to call an external procedure as soon as the outcome of local transactions have been determined. I hope that it can be done without using Oracle XA.

Some background info:

I am currently working on a Oracle9i Cartridge of our Speed Index product. The index is a high performing real-time classification text index, which is managed by a dedicated indexing process.

By storing the indexes outside of Oracle, we obtain incredible performace and scalability. However, as a consequence, we are no longer implicitely part of the Oracle transaction system.

Our index server supports transactions and we have successfully done transaction level integration with various other DBMS products.

We use Oracle Extensible Indexing for communicating inserts etc. with the Index Server, and the only thing I need is to inform the index server process about commited and rolled back transactions as soon as their outcome can be determined.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Thomas Rask
Speed of Mind Inc Received on Wed May 21 2003 - 06:25:11 CDT