Re: WE8MSWIN1252 NLS_LANG Conversion

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 09:10:31 +0100

"Simon Adebisi" <omar_adebisi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f1e58c26.0305201343.26a6097c_at_posting.google.com...
> Wow Hans!.....How insightful. I always wanted to know how to use
> Oracle Support....You've solved the mystery! Thanks!!!!! (Yes, I've
> searched Metalink and your "tip" on "legitimately" opening a tar was
> about as useful as a frenchman in a war...or even a pillow-fight).
>
> My question was directed at anyone with experience fixing
> "Exceptional" data as identified in the "scann.err". If anyone has
> constructive input (besides Hans), I would be immensely grateful.
>
> Sorry for the tone on the thread, but sheer stupidity rather gets
> under my skin.

If you can identify the character codes involved, and suitable replacements then what we have done in the past is to use the replace function for example

update tab set description = replace(description,CHR(146),'''')

WHERE DESCRIPTION LIKE '%'||CHR(146)||'%'; in our case the issue was microsoft's "smart" quotes.

I do realize that you have a real problem and that it is frustrating, but you might consider whether starting off with "PS I am not a troll" and following up with "as useful as a frenchman in a war" is likely to improve or reduce the quality of the responses you get.

Cheers

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA