Re: Where is a Temporary table stored?

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 May 2003 21:46:43 -0700

Christian Hartmann <cha_at_christian-hartmann.de> wrote in message news:<c84lcvo54llmre2rg49g5jbhknubtmqdph_at_4ax.com>...
> Hi there,
>
> I am running Oracle 8.1.7 and wonder myself, where the content of a
> temporary table that was created using
>
> CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE ...
> [ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS ]
>
> is stored.
>
> Is it stored in the SGA or in the PGA of the user-process, i.e. also
> using the temporary tablespace?
>
> Please let me know if you know it.... :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian Hartmann

Hi Christian.

This is a legitimate question, as if one were to query dba_tables, the column "tablespace_name" is null for a global temporary table (GTT).

The segments are created in the users default temporary tablespace.

select temporary_tablespace
  from dba_users
 where username=USER
/

Assuming 8i R3 - here is a good start:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a85397/statem3e.htm#2062857

and this should help:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76965/c08schem.htm#16097

extents in temporary segments:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76965/c02block.htm#2922

hth.

Pd Received on Tue May 20 2003 - 23:46:43 CDT