Re: 9i database: Java?

From: Stephan <test_at_test.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:23:16 GMT

I searched also a little furrther:

For application server Oracle now chooses OC4J. Apache can connect to it by meams of mod_oc4j.

JServ (apache) is not the platform for Oracle to focus on as application server. I believe it is not J2EE compatible. To my opinion JServ can run jsp/servlets.

I still do not have the picture complete clear...

regards
Stephan

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3ECA404E.3AA24653_at_telusplanet.net...
> (See - I said people would start poking holes .... <g>)
>
> Stephan van Hoof wrote:
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > You state:
> > "> You don't need to use Oracle's 9iAS or the Oracle supplied Apache
server
> > > (unless the tag library you are running includes Oracle specific
tags).
> > > But you may want to consider using one or the other instead of going
> > > the alternatives JVM/J2EE engines (WebSphere, BEA, Orion, JBoss,
etc.)."

> > As far as I know Apache simply forwards all request for JSP's and
SERVLETS
> > to Orion (=the J2EE server bought by Oracle).
> > Apache only handles static pages and security.
> > Or is Apache capable of running the JSP's / SERVLETS?
> >
> > Regards
> > Stephan
> >

> You are, of course, correct that Apache by itself - or any other pure http
> server - can not handle J2EE & JSP directly. The http server look at the
URL
> and based on the configuration files decides what steps to take as a
result of
> the URL. In the case of a plain file, it serves it back. In the case of
PERL,
> CGI, etc. it invokes mod_xxx (eg: mod_perl) to dispose of the request.
>
> When I installed Oracle9i R2 on my Windows 2000 machine, I allowed the
Apache
> HTTP server to be installed. Looking at the page http://{my_machine}:7778
> see the following links:
>
> - Documentation
> - JServ Documentation
> Demo
> - Oracle JSP Documentation
> Demos
> - SOAP Release Notes and Documentation
> - Mod_SSL Web Site
> - OpenSSL
> - FastCGI Developer's Kit Documentation
> - mod_perl Web Site
> - Mod_plsql Configuration Menu
> - BC4J Documentation and Samples
> - XML Developers Kit XDK Documentation
> - Mod_OSE Documentation
>

> To make the JSP work, I'd need the JServ engine (Java Servlets) which I
would
> download & configure per the instructions under JServ documentation.
JServ is
> officially called Apache JServ. One could safely conclude that it is part
of
> the bigger Apache environment.
>
> Then, looking through the Release notes for the JSP documentation I see
the
> first 3 lines state:
>
> Release Notes for OracleJSP 1.1.2.4.0
> released with 9i production (9.2.0)
>
> which leads me to belive that the JSP is available through the default
Apache