Re: Database tunning - parse / execute ratio

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 19:05:04 +0200

On 20 May 2003 08:25:37 -0700, wes_brooks_at_yahoo.com (Wes Brooks) wrote:

>Hi expert,
>
>I got the following stats from TOAD:
>
>1. Buffer cache hit ratio 84.7041 - May need to increase
>db_block_buffers. (My db_block_buffers is 3200).

You are starting from the wrong end, or you adhere to the Niemic school of tuning, which basically says 'if ratio's are high, performance is good'
You' better start using the SGA trace tool from Toad identifying the top logical I/O consumers, and start tuning the affected statements

>2. Parse / Execute Ratio 80.1188 high parse to execute ratio. (My
>shared_pool_size is 30000000.) How much I can increase?

High parse to execute ratio is usually being caused by not reusing statements, ie by not using bind variables. Cranking up the shared pool is not going to do anything.

>3. DBWR avg scan depth 415.4 #DB_FILES too high? (My DB_FILES is
>1500).

Don't know why they still report that. It was an issue in Oracle 7, but now it isn't. Too busy getting sql*plus out I guess.

>The system is client server. Please help and tell me how to tun up
>the database?
>
>Thanks.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue May 20 2003 - 12:05:04 CDT