Re: SYSDBA access (newbie)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:38:03 +1000

Please don't do what these two replies suggest!

SYSTEM is a powerful account that can do everything that SYS can do, with the only exception being that privileged actions (startup, shutdown, backup, recover, create database) can only be done by SYS.

And that's the way it should stay. SYSTEM should not ever be granted privileged action status.

For [at least] one very good reason: anything granted by SYS, anything created by SYS, can never be exported. If you get into the habit of logging on as a privileged user (which is what would happen if you granted SYSDBA to SYSTEM) then you are going to create things and grant things which are then forever locked within that database, and not exportable. It's a severe compromise of database recoverability and portability, and you'd be insane to go for it.

Use SYS to do startups and shutdowns (etc). And use SYSTEM for all other day-to-day database management. Use the accounts in the way they were designed... because they were designed that way for a reason.

Regards
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have just installed an Oracle 8i. I want to use DBA Studio to connect
> > my DB. I want to login as SYSDBA with the default system/manager login.
But