Re: Usage of Multiple Buffer Pools

From: Sergey Adamenko <asv_n_o__s_p_a_m_at_softline.kiev.ua>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:19:55 +0300

"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I think multiple buffer pools can be useful as a means of spreading out
> the latching for blocks. The changes in 8i buffer cache management with
> touch counts (imho) renders the original idea of 'keep' and 'recycle'
> somewhat obsolete. I think they are better referred to as simply extra
> pools of memory (although you'd need to tweak a couple of parms to make
> them all work in the same way)
>
> hth
> connor
> --
> Connor McDonald
> http://www.oracledba.co.uk
>
> "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

Well, tables (or segments in general) have their POOL property assigned. And their blocks go to the assigned pool. If I'm improperly split my Buffer pool or improperly distribute my tables between pools, I can get some memory wasted or memory shortage in some pool, which will cause raise in I/O later. IMO, this will negate the result of additional latches the pools have.

Thanks,
Sergey Adamenko. Received on Tue May 20 2003 - 06:19:55 CDT