Re: Usage of Multiple Buffer Pools

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 20:36:42 +1000

"Sergey Adamenko" <asv_n_o__s_p_a_m_at_softline.kiev.ua> wrote in message news:3ec9ee59$1_at_ns...

> 1. How can I sample I/O per segment other than pinging
> V$SESSION_WAIT?
There is a V$BH view, IIRC, that lets you examine which buffer blocks are being used by which objects. From there you can get the tablespace and/or datafile.

> 2. A there some other principles for identifying candidate segments for
> RECYCLE and KEEP pool?

Yes, but they are too special case for any considerations here.

> 3. Are Multiple Buffer Pools used nowadays? I new about the
> possibility of using Multiple Buffer Pools at least for 2 year,
> but never used it or sew other DBA used it.

I use them regularly. All lookup tables (and their indexes!) end up in KEEP, with highly volatile tables (and their indexes!) in RECYCLE. The rest stays in DEFAULT. No problems whatsoever so far and it tends to reduce "weird" buffer and latch waits to 0.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto