Re: Install Oracle Server on Linux

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 20 May 2003 19:17:17 +1000

 Antoine> Hi from Paris The bug you're talking of is specific under  Antoine> windoze platforms...

 Antoine> I think your problem is the RH version... 6.2 is not  Antoine> supported for 8i. Try RH 7.x

 Antoine> "Patrice Castet"
 Antoine> <patrice.castet@___nospaaaaam____in-fusio.com> a écrit
 Antoine> dans le message de
 Antoine> news:3ec4db5c.364743609_at_read.news.fr.uu.net...

>> hi !
>>
>> If you're using a Pentium 4 computer, there is a bug in those
>> processors which makes crash the Java Virtual Machine of Oracle
>> 8.1.7 installer.
>>
>> 2 solutions : 1) using oracle 9i, which should be today's choice,
>> this bug does not occur 2) if you really need 8.1.7, ask Oracle
>> for a version of the installer which does not have this problem,
>> this is a well known bug ...
>>

>> On Fri, 16 May 2003 10:05:10 +0200, "Enzo" <titi_at_toto.fr> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I'm trying to install an Oracle Server on a Linux machine. >I
>> launch runInstaller but nothing append. I only have this message :
>> >
>> >" Initializing Java Virtual Machine from / ...... Please wait
>> .... "
>> >
>> >My environment : RedHat 6.2, JDK 1.3.1, I try to install Oracle
>> 8.1.7 >I created my user "oracle" with the groups "orainstall" and
>> "dba". >I changed the .bash-profile for the user "oracle" (by
>> adding several

 Antoine> export
>> >for the oracle environment, the java environment, ...).
>> >
>> >Can somebody help me.
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance.

I installed 8i on a p4 without any problems.

Red Hat 6.2 is the certified platform for the initial releases of 8i I think - it is a lot easier as you don't need the glibc stubs patch.

Make sure your LANG environment setting is either set to C or unset - the installer won't work if its set to any other locale

If you have another java version installed, be careful java environment variables are not stuffing up the installer - for the initial instalation you don't need any java environment variables set (like JAVA_HOME, CLASSPATH etc)

HTH Tim

--
Tim Cross