Re: Oracle with minimal HW req.

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 May 2003 21:45:26 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<vc7m7t5d4sqre3_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> "John M" <bali1a_at_freemail.hu> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have to test a web application with ORACLE DB on my PC.
> > The database is in test phase, so it has got only 15 tables and all tables
> > contains only 10-30 records.
> > I use Oracle 8i. After install my system use about 320MB RAM after
> startup.
> > How can I configure Oracle to minimize hardware requirements?
> > I know I have to change the init.ora file but what can be the minimal
> values
> > for the parameters? Is it any other minimizing possibility?
> > (I must use Oracle 8i, JDeveloper 9.0.3, Windows 2000 on the same PC
> > /Pentium III 650MHz and 256Mb RAM/).
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Your config is not going to work EVER. You simply have insufficient RAM

Sybrand,

I beg to differ. It *can* work, but it won't work as well as if he had sufficient physical memory.
I managed an 8.1.7 (Std Ed) install on 80 MB on a PII 233 laptop some time ago.
I had disabled the W2K Services that I did not need, and the SGA was small, but it ran.

The OP did say "test".
I don't remember exactly what the settings were, but this is close:

large_pool_size=1048576
java_pool_size=0
shared_pool_size=25165824
db_block_buffers=3072
db_block_size=8192
sort_area_size=1048576
hash_area_size=2097152

keep your setting for "processes" low.
turn off filesystem caching.

check the following doc on OTN:
Oracle8i Administrator's Guide
Release 2 (8.1.6) for Windows NT
Part Number A73008-01
10 - Tuning Windows NT to Optimize Oracle8i

Paul Received on Mon May 19 2003 - 23:45:26 CDT