Re: Securing isqlplus

From: Alison Holloway <Xalison.holloway_at_oracle.comX>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:08:52 +1000

Chuck wrote:

> It looks like it does on NT. On unix, it turns out it was just a matter
> of starting apache with the "startssl" command intead of "start".
>
> The next question is how secure is it to use the demo certificate if all
> I want to do is encrypt data? I don't care about authentication at all
> since I am dialing in to a private network. I just want to be sure that
> if I am using a wireless device that passwords are encrypted all the way
> through so they are not compromised between the device and the provider.
> Anyone who understands SSL please chime in.

The temporary certificate is fine for testing and will encrypt all traffic between the browser/wireless device and the server. Be warned that it will expire fairly quickly -- can't remember the exact length of time it is valid, but the certificate should tell you. You should not use the temporary certificate ina production environment. You may want to read the Oracle doc on PKI to give you an understanding of SSL:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/network.920/a96582/pki.htm

Alison Received on Mon May 19 2003 - 20:08:52 CDT