Re: Sous ORACLE

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:27:21 GMT

My French is horrible, but I think you are asking what the difference between files, tablespaces, clusters are. A tablespace consists of 1 or more files. It is a logical grouping. I am not sure what you mean by clusters. You could be referring to Oracle's RAC - Real application clusters - which is a way to scale up Oracle on multiple machines sharing a set of disk drives. Or you might be referring to hash clusters and clustered tables. A hash cluster is a way of storing data in a table to make it very fast to retrieve. Each row has a hash value and if you look up the data by the hashed value then Oracle - if you have set everything up correctly - retrieve the value in one IO. This is good for tables that do not grow and the lookup are equality look ups. (eg select.. from .. where myrow='abc') Clustered tables are tables where the parent row and the child or children tables are stored in the same block. The key joining the parent and the child is not repeated. This works if you are frequently getting both the parent and the child records.
Jim