Re: Oracle Client Server

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 02:07:40 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Hans Forbrich wrote:
>
> > IGASONGO wrote:
> >
> > > I am looking for information about the architecture of the client/server
> > > of Oracle. What would be its time performance on different platform?

> > The time performance question
> > - I hear the results are 7, 8, 4, 16 and 5
>
> No no no. The results are different.
>
> The point Hans is making is that your question is meaningless. Will they be
> different ... of course? But beyond that your question is equivalent to asking
> which color is best.

Quite right Daniel - The OP has not provided ANY parameters for making a comparison. Not that we could legally provide the results of such a comparison anyway.

For the OP ...

There are a few things we could legitimately say: a faster CPU generally correlates to 'better' performance; Oracle can take advantage of multple CPUs, and multiple CPUs generally provide 'better' performance; RAC - Oracle's database-in-a-cluster environment - can, in some instances [sic], provide 'better' performance.

I can also state, from personal experience, that n-tier operations tend to be faster than client/server.

I would encourage reading the concepts manual previous indicated. I would also encourage reading "Oracle Essentials" (see http://oracle.oreilly.com) as a reasonable introduction before the concepts manual. Received on Sun May 18 2003 - 21:07:40 CDT