Re: Oracle 9.2 on RH9 Java initialisation error

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 05:35:18 +1000

"Fred J" <fred.j_at_dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:3ec796a9$0$10762$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com...

> I am running RH9 and trying to load Oracle server 9.2. I have followed
the
> installation documentation provied by Oracle but when I try to start
> runInstaller I get the error:
>
> [oracle_at_neptune Disk1]$ ./runInstaller
> [oracle_at_neptune Disk1]$ Initializing Java Virtual Machine from

../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/jre.
> Please wait...

/home/oracle/Disk1/stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expande
> d/linux/lib/linux/native_threads/libzip.so: symbol errno, version
GLIBC_2.0
> not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference (libzip.so)
> Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
> Could not create Java VM
>
> Anyone seen this before and got past it?
>
> TIA
>

> Fred Johnson

Interesting. This specific question about Red Hat 9 has popped up at least three times a week for the past three weeks: I guess all Linux users are as desperate to upgrade to new releases as us Windows babies are to get our hands on Windows 2003!!

Now, how do you want your coffee? If you talk to the Linux hard-nuts, Oracle can be persuaded to work on RH9, provided (variously, and from memory) you put up with the Database Creation Assistant not working, working, working erratically, or somewhere in between. Provided also you don't intend using Enterprise Manager. Or that you do. And provided you know Linux backwards, and set ASSUME_KERNEL= something, nothing or something and nothing.

If like me you can competently get Oracle working on RH8, despite the occasional linking glitches it throws up, then the replies to the RH9 questions will have indicated that, quite frankly, Oracle 9.2 doesn't work on RH9, depending on what you mean by the word "work".

It certainly seems like far too much hassle to be good for the digestive system.

The best I can suggest is that you flit over to www.google.com, and search the Group archives for posts here containing the words RH9 over the past, I would say, four weeks. A lot of them contained workarounds. A lot of them also gave links to other forums where the issues were discussed (though the one I looked at didn't ever seem to get around to working out a definitive answer!).

But if you really want Oracle working properly, and quickly, with minimum hassle, then fall back to RH8.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun May 18 2003 - 14:35:18 CDT