Re: Export Error during 817 to 805 table export

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 21:02:41 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> "Antoine BRUNEL" <antoinebrunel/yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>

>>hi from Paris
>>
>>it is not a good idea to export date with a different version of EXP

> binary
>
>>compared to Oracle RDBMS.
>>
>>You should bettter export with 8.0 'exp' program, then import it with 8i
>>'import' prog.
>>

>>PS: what I said is the SUPPORTED AND WORKING way. RTFM !!!!!!!!!!

> Actually, it's incorrect. The original poster is trying to get data out of
> an 8.1.7 database into an 8.0 database. Using the 8.0 version of the
> executable against the 8.1 database is the correct way to do that.
>
> And what you suggest will definitely not work, as the 8.1 version of import
> will likely throw a complete wobbly when it encounters the older version
> dump file produced by your suggestion of using 8.0 export.
>
> Having written a paper on what version of export works with what version of
> import from version 7.0 upwards, I happen to know this (though it wouldn't
> take much to work it out, given the number of times advice directly opposite
> to yours has been posted on this group, by Sybrand, Daniel and others).
>
> Regards
> HJR

I have to say I admire the polite way you answered.

To add 2c, I think the import/export views were changed between 8.0 and 8i, without changing the names (as was doen with 7.3 vs 8/8i).

You could try to:

- take a BACKUP!
- run the catexp of V8.0 against 8i
- exp using the 8.0 tool
- run catexp of 8i against 8i
- see if you can still exp/imp with 8i tools,
--
Regards, Frank van Bortel