Re: ORA-00376: what are my options?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 15:15:13 GMT

So hardware never fails? (regardless of what RDBMS, or filebased system) Guess the data isn't very important. Clearly your boss is a moron.

One thing you might do is doa clean shutdown. Then copy the files elsewhere (all of them - cold backup). Start Oracle again. Then take the tablespace off line. then recover the tablespace. If you get media recovery complete try bringing the tablespace back on line.

I have seen this error when someone tries to do a backup and the backup software (usually on Windows- which you are on) puts a lock on the file. Then Oracle tries to read from or write to the file, sees the file lock (from the backup software) and labels the file needing recovery. In actual fact the file is fine, but since some other process (the backup) locked the file Oracle has to assume the file is bad. Jim

--
Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
with family.  Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign.  You can figure