Re: Installing Oracle Lite on Linux

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 14:34:42 GMT

JustAnotherDBA wrote:

> I ordered the CDs for Oracle9i Release 2 on Linux and the pack they send
> contains many things including ... "Oracle9i Lite Release 5.0.2".

Yup - I just checked & they've certified Lite for Linux. I didn't realize they'd released the Linux version yet.

You are on fairly new ground here - most of us don't look at Lite since it was primarily designed as a synchorinzable data store for disconnectable devices sich as laptops and palm-style devices.. (Great examples of use are in Oracle's Mobile Applications - Oracle Mobile Service, Mobile Sales.)

Suggest you do a regular install - such as the database Client or maybe even the Standard or Enterprise database - first and resolve the general installation issues. Then you should be able to install Lite.

Aside - hope you aren't planning to use Lite to learn SQL. Lite is not intended to provide the full functionality of the Standard or Enterprise versions. Received on Sun May 18 2003 - 09:34:42 CDT