Re: is this an appropriate case for parallel processing?

From: JustAnotherDBA <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 23:31:45 -0500

Just how bad or poor performing is the current setup?

How old is the hardware?

Also, I have never heard of Solaris v5.8 ... did you mean 2.8 (or commonly called Solaris 8)? If so, that isn't antique.

Do you load with indexes or primary or unique keys enabled?

What kinds of steps have you taken to help the poor performance so far?

--

"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message

> We have an instance run in Oracle 8173 on a Solaris v5.8(yes I know its
> antiquated) with 4 CPUs using a Network Appliance hard disk array.
>
> SQLLOAD into a staging tablespace. Insert append and a create table AS.
>
> We have 5-6 tables over 100 MBs and the largest is 1GB. We have up to 73
> tables that we have to batch process in a night. We rarely run all of them
> and about 40 of them are less than 10MBs some less than 100k.
>
> I was thinking of using parallel inserts,create table as,parallel index
> building, parallel in a hash_aj we need to do. Im also going to use
DBMS_JOB