Re: is this an appropriate case for parallel processing?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 19:12:23 +0200

On Fri, 16 May 2003 21:46:46 GMT, "Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote:

>We have an instance run in Oracle 8173 on a Solaris v5.8(yes I know its
>antiquated) with 4 CPUs using a Network Appliance hard disk array.
>
>SQLLOAD into a staging tablespace. Insert append and a create table AS.
>
>We have 5-6 tables over 100 MBs and the largest is 1GB. We have up to 73
>tables that we have to batch process in a night. We rarely run all of them
>and about 40 of them are less than 10MBs some less than 100k.
>
>I was thinking of using parallel inserts,create table as,parallel index
>building, parallel in a hash_aj we need to do. Im also going to use DBMS_JOB
>to create indices, since talbes have multiple indices, if I run them with
>DBMS_JOB I can do all of them at the same time.
>
>how do I determine whether parallel processing will suck up too many
>resources? Cant run it and see what happens because it has to succeed. I can
>test it on a Saturday, but Id prefer not to blow a Saturday if this is
>totally going in the wrong direction.
>
>We currently have MAX Slaves set to 5, and Threads per CPU set to 2. Not too
>familiar with Parallel queries. Just started looking at it.

If you didn't stripe your tables over at least as much drives as you have processors, using parallel processing is pretty useless and will only slow down operations.

Max slaves 5 is way too low. If you set parallel to 4, you'll get 8 slave threads (one for FTS and one for sorting), automatically. Also max slaves is a database wide limit.

>Anyone have any advice on this?

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat May 17 2003 - 12:12:23 CDT