Re: Problem at database creation time

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 14:50:19 GMT

vincent wrote:

> Hi,
> After oracle 9i installation process, I ran dbca in order to build my
> first database on my system.
> I designed all stuff and all ran ok except at finish time where the
> process stopped and I had a feed back on terminal.
> Here is the output :
>
> [oracle_at_HomeMandrake bin]$ ./dbca
> libclntsh.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (libnjni9.so)

libnjni ... iirc, that's part of Java's Jini? Check the version of the JVM and make sure it truly matches the one that's needed. You may need to so some Java environment tailoring.

Some people have reported needing to remove all traces of Java, then start the Oracle Installer to load up the Oracle supplied JVM & associated libraries. Especially true on 'unsupported' configs (remember only Red Hat AS 2.1?, SLES7 and UnitedLinux 1.x? are supported. Mandrake, SuSE 8.2, etc. are not and YMMV drastically)

Other points to consider - the Oracle install seems real fussy about the version of glibc, which apparently needs to be the one with gcc 2.95 (at least for some distros). Also there are kernel level restrictions. Your description indicates these are OK, but worth keeping in mind.

Haver you browsed around in the Linux technology section of OTN (http://otn.oracle.com)? They have some useful docs there as well. Also lots of discussion happening on their Linux forum.