Re: Rich Niemiec live at ODTUG!

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 00:26:43 +1000

"Franklin" <member29243_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message

> David Bowie?
>
> Wasn't he onw of those Gay English (sorry if this is redundant)
> flako-rockers like Boy George?
>
> I thought that he died of AIDS year ago.

Hi Franklin,

What many people don't know is that (the very much alive) David Bowie has a huge interest in computing technology, is a pioneer of the web and become an Oracle8i OCP in 1999.

Many of his famous recordings actually relate to experiences he's had whilst looking after Oracle databases:

"A Space Oddity" relates to Major Tom, a fellow DBA who couldn't understand
why he's data dictionary tablespace was so poorly fragmented.

"Time Will Crawl" was penned whilst waiting for the catpatch script to
complete

"A New Career In A New Town" beautifully describes he's move from his drug
abusive rock 'n' roll lifestyle, to that of an Oracle DBA in Berlin.

"Under Pressure", he's feeling and emotions during a database recovery

"Changes", issues he's had whilst performing database upgrades.

"Don't Bring Me Down" was inspired by his frequent use of the Shutdown abort
command

"Sound and Vision" his excitement at realizing what can be stored in a BLOB

"Drive In Saturday", the joys of being on-call while an Oracle DBA

"All The Madmen", his cynical opinion of end-users

and the list just goes on and on ....

Now if he were only at this ODTUG gig, then it really would be worth going to :)

Richard Received on Sat May 17 2003 - 09:26:43 CDT