Re: Tuning PL/SQL

From: John Russell <netnews5_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 04:46:33 GMT

On 16 May 2003 13:23:15 -0700, danielroy10_at_hotmail.com (Daniel Roy) wrote:
>Bare also in mind that each language has its specialty, and PL/SQL is
>not a good choice when doing lots of calculations (use C for this). If
>on 9i, you can also run the native code (instead of interpreting the
>code, I think), which is supposedly faster.

One way to help with calculations is to do integer arithmetic with PLS_INTEGER variables instead of NUMBER or INTEGER. (INTEGER in SQL and PL/SQL is really NUMBER without anything after the decimal point.)

On the SQL side, look for opportunities to use the FORALL statement for INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE, and BULK COLLECT INTO for queries. These can speed up or replace loops around SQL operations.

John

--
Photo gallery: http://www.pbase.com/john_russell/