Re: Does Oracle charge extra for the parallel query option?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 02:55:40 GMT

10Squared wrote:

> Hans Forbrich wrote:
>
> > This stuff is asked & answered frequently - expect
> > grumpy/sarcastic/caustic responses especially since it is very, very well
> > documented on the Oracle site.
>
> .. but the interpretation of those documents is often left to conjecture,
> e.g. "the multiplexing front end" when determining numbers of licenses
> required.

You are referring to document
http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/databaselicensing.pdf, page 4 ... I see no conjecture - when using Named User Plus (which may not be optimum) "then all users must be licensed at the multiplexing front end". Multiplex is a standard term used for software and hardware that allows multiple lines on one side (user side) to be concentrated to one, or a few, lines on the other side (database side). And they offer examples. in the Software Investment Guide. They are very clear and explicit.

> ..
> > - you don't even have to talk to an oracle rep. I buy most of my stuff
> > directly from the Oracle Store (http://oraclestore.oracle.com) using a
> > credit card. (mostly I buy small stuff <g> but it's all licenses!)
>
> Although you can do this, sometimes it is worthwhile to see what kind of
> deal you can get from your sales rep. For instance, it is now May, the end
> of Oracle's FY. Due to the current economic conditions your friendly local
> Oracle guy is under tremendous pressure to make Oracle stockholders happy.
> On the other hand, Oracle has been known to mark down a product after the
> FYE, as they did a couple of years ago with the WAS.

Different animal - you are negotiating variations from standard contract. Now you get into non-standard contracts. To expect consistency across multiple non-standard contracts is in itself an oxy-moron.

Funny though, many want to skip the step of 'standard contract, price and discount'. Then, next time around, they get bitten - usually badly - because they "forgot" the contract was non-standard or they assumed that the non-standard terms and consitions would apply in the future. And of course, this is all the Oracle rep's fault.

So yes, go for the discounts - but don't expect them! Received on Fri May 16 2003 - 21:55:40 CDT