Re: Oracle doesn't shutdown

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 23:08:36 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> Oh well, and no: different experiences, richer knowledge-base.
>
> I have to deal with people all the time who seem to think that Shutdown
> Abort is the mother of all evils, and yet if I ask them do they think they
> would lose data in the event of a power failure, blythely answer 'no, this
> is Oracle!'.
>
> I still wouldn't recommend shutdown aborts as a matter of routine. I just
> don't want to see a cohort out there thinking that it's rather more than it
> is.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Thanks.

I alot of my hesitation comes from the v5, v6 days. V7 was a dream, until I started needing regular manual restores (7.1) - turned out new guy on my team would abort to get the window for backups and managed to blotto control files every time. Since then I always recommend 'use it as a last resort' and I admit I haven't gone back to re-evaluate (my bad!)

One other (documented, current version) reason to hesitate on shutdown abort - memory loss/leak, esp. on windows. Some processes that die due to shutdown abort will not release their memory. (Eventually that would require a reboot, but the operating system tends to require it before that happens anyway.)

The OP certainly leaves me with the feeling that he will use shutdown abort as a regular habit and that was the root of my concern - quoting his response

Actually, if i do shutdown abort, it shuts down very quickly without a "database unmounted" or "database closed" line but says it closed the oracle instance. Now it starts up and shuts down fine for most of the time.