Re: Oracle doesn't shutdown

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 08:44:17 +1000

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3EC566E0.6E7E785F_at_telusplanet.net...
> Thanks for the correction.
>
> I'm sure the OP is using one of the mentioned protections on his Mandrake
box.

> I do remember times when shutdown abort was the last-ditch case and I
have
> experienced severe pain, requiring recovery, as a result of using it.
Seems
> like I'm behind the times.

Oh well, and no: different experiences, richer knowledge-base.

I have to deal with people all the time who seem to think that Shutdown Abort is the mother of all evils, and yet if I ask them do they think they would lose data in the event of a power failure, blythely answer 'no, this is Oracle!'.

I still wouldn't recommend shutdown aborts as a matter of routine. I just don't want to see a cohort out there thinking that it's rather more than it is.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri May 16 2003 - 17:44:17 CDT