Re: Oracle doesn't shutdown

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 08:17:19 +1000

Please, Hans..

Fairy tales are for children.

There is *nothing* dangerous about shutdown abort at all.

With one exception, which should never be an issue anyway. If you shutdown abort, then Oracle must subsequently perform instance recovery. True enough. And if between the time you say 'shutdown abort' and 'startup' you were to lose your current redo log, then it is fair to say that you would not be able to perform that instance recovery, and would have to revert instead to an incomplete recovery until log sequence X... and at that point, data would have been lost.

But we have multiplexing to ensure that the current redo log group is not entirely lost. And we have hardware mirroring to similarly add yet another layer of protection. If either one or both of those protections are in place, you have about as much to fear from shutdown abort as you do from a milk bottle.

The last time I lost all members of the current redo log group was... er, actually it's never happened.

Therefore, shutdown abort is no more dangerous than shutdown immediate... and I bet you do those all the time.

Regards
HJR "Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3EC55D50.92E943BA_at_telusplanet.net...
> Chr2k04 wrote:
>
> > Actually, if i do shutdown abort, it shuts down very quickly without a
> > "database unmounted" or "database closed" line but says it closed the
> > oracle instance. Now it starts up and shuts down fine for most of the
> > time.
> >
> > Thanks for the help,
> > Chris
> >

> Please do NOT use shutdown abort in regular operation. If you run into a
similar situation, try to determine why it is
> not shutting down quickly - usually because something is still connected -
and stop that first.

> Shutdown abort is very similar to pulling the plug on a Linux box - even
though fsck will usually recover, eventually you