Re: Install Oracle Server on Linux

From: Mark J. Kounalis <mkounalis_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:28:52 -0500

First - why such an old version of Linux? 7.3 should be the minimum - there are a lot of kernel issues running Oracle below that. (And there are some with 7.3 - I assume you are installign to learn and not for any kind of development or production?)

Second - there are two places to run the installer from. Do a search for runInstaller and try running one you find higher up the directory tree.

Third - it's an X application - make sure you have your DISPLAY environment variable set correctly and that your Xserver is allowing connections - (i.e. xhost +).

Also make sure that your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH etc. environment variables are set - it will make linking more successful. If you have access to Metalink - there are several good articles that step you through the entire process.