Re: Multiple DATABASES on the same RAC cluster

From: Mark J. Kounalis <mkounalis_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:21:09 -0500

I greatly appreciate all of your comments. I wanted to give some more details about what the client is thinking they want to do. First - they aparently have a requirement that they have more than one version of 9i RAC running - i.e. 9.1.0.3 and 9.2.0.4. They are planning on implementing on the Linux platform - using 2.1AS as their Linux distribution. I don't believe that there is a way to run two different versions of Oracle's cluster services daemons on the same machine - which I believe is necessary to allow each 9i version to run in RAC mode. One of the things that has surprised me since putting out this inquery on different message boards is that no one seems to have tried this yet. I would think that the possibility of what the client wants to do is higher using HACM or Sun Cluster - because both version of 9i would be housed under one cluster services environment. In Linux, I believe that the version of 9i is tied to the version of the cluster services - I might be wrong here - that's what I need to find out. I am trying to get together a system to try this out on - will let you all know what I find. In the mean time - if anyone has an opinion of experience with this please keep responding. Thanks!

Mark J. Kounalis