Re: How Many CPUS??

From: koert54 <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:39:57 GMT

you need to check your runqueue

how to get the runqueue
1. uptime - gives you the load which is on most unix flavours the 1min, 5min, 15min average of your runqueue
2. top, topas, nmon whatever, will give you the runqueue 3. sar : this is the most interesting way - log on as adm
- check the crontab - most unix flavours have already an example setup in which
they use sa1 and sa2 gather stats and report on them. Increase the default frequency from 20min
to 5min for *real* stats

- check /var/adm/sarXX for daily reports
- look for runqueue size & runqueue occ%
- load the columns rq sze & rq occ% in excel
- runqueue stats = rq sze * occ%/100  ->>>>> make a graph and voila you've
plotted a wicked graph of your runqueue

ATTN - check your unix flavour for the exact meaning of runqueue as this can differ from
platform to platform. On Tru64 it's completely different than on AIX/Solaris/HPUX

One can say that if your runqueue is higher than 2 to 3 times the number of CPU's, there's
severe CPU starvation and things will come to creeping halt - typically you'll have 99%usr time
1%sys, 0%idle 0%wio. Typically - you'll see this is on boxes with DBA's using PQ !!! :-)
While I'm at it - don't use parallel degree 'default' at table level in combination with CBO and
the default max_parallel_servers=5 - it'll kill your performance. Use a degree of one (alter table x noparallel) or set max_parallel_server=0 if you're not doing warehousing or if you don't have a big smp box

This is what I do and use as rule of thumb - if someone else has a better sugestion it's much
appreciated.
Might I sugest reading optimizing unix for performance (old but good book) which clearly explains
runqueue, waitqueues etc
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131115510/qid%3D988550994/026-0642 492-7664436

regards !