Re: reduce archive logs

From: bcjm <oldcar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 May 2003 07:21:50 -0700

oldcar_at_hotmail.com (bcjm) wrote in message news:<6e9fcca4.0305140740.f31ff04_at_posting.google.com>...
> 8.1.6 running Windows NT,
>
> We have a intranet site done in Cold Fusion using Oracle 8.1.6 as its
> data source. The CF client/session variable data (CDATA, CGLOBAL) are
> stored in the Oracle database as well. CF server updates/insert
> records in these tables when user access the site. It generates more
> than 100MB archive log daily. I like to eliminate the logs generated
> by these two tables if possible to save space and improve performance.
> I really don't need the data in these tables if I need to restore the
> database.
>
> Setting these table to no archive log does not help since it only
> works in limited situations like in batch/direct load.
>
> Any suggestions?

First of all, thank you for all the replies. Setting the table to nologging does not work since nologging only works in batch or direct load. I assume moving them to a nologging tablespace is the same as setting the table to nologging. If this is what I have to live with that is fine. I just want to make sure there is nothing else I can do.

Having said that, do you all adjust the redo log size periodically? I was told to keep it about one log file/hour is a good rule of thumb. Too many log files (switches) reduce the performance and hard to manage. keeping giant log file is not good either (why?). Received on Fri May 16 2003 - 09:21:50 CDT