Re: Australian trip.

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 22:51:44 +1000

No need for that. I didn't feel really upset by what you said. It was the troll that p****d me off. As for pleasantness, well, I won't say anything... :D

> opinion. I understand your frustration with trolls (though I'm not
> 100% convinced this was one), but isn't your reaction exactly what a
> troll is looking for? I would have thought it was more effective to
> either 1) Ignore them or 2) Post a short message along the lines of
> "This person is (probably) a troll, please ignore" with maybe a link
> to the meaning of "troll" for Newbies.

It doesn't work. They just keep coming back. Trolling them back in turn keeps them away for a while as they think what to say next. Then they just tire: as soon as it becomes too much work. Believe me, been there, done that.

This link should give you a few giggles:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

I always have a good time there. You'll probably find "me" there too...

> The other thing is that I find the agressive/abusive content of this
> NG to be somewhat offputting.

That's something I can't do anything about. It certainly isn't agressive from me towards normal frequenters. I can't speak for others. In general, it's not a bad lot. Everyone is entitled to a bad day and most people here work in real sites as opposed to sitting in an office writing books or waiting for the phone to ring. I tend to take any "explosion" here as just a "bad hair day" and plain ignore it.

> (partly because I'm too busy), and this is one of the reasons. Still
> never mind, I've learned 10 times as much from Tom Kyte's site (and
> wonderful book) than from here.

We all do/did. And a few other places.
It's a continuous process and NOBODY
can claim to have all the answers