Can a segment span more than one datafiles

From: Dan Yusuph <oradba_at_mail.kz>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:44:21 +0600

Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
wrote in message news:cff6cvkedqaugm85sugg6mag2v47dv08rv_at_4ax.com...

P> A tablespace can span more than one datafiles, but can a segment span
P> more than one datafiles? I am just wondering what is the smallest
P> Oracle unit that can span different datafiles.
P> How about data block spanning datafiles? How about an extent?

if you want to perform manual striping across separate disk drives and appropriate datafiles on them you should do: 1) if DMT then
initial = next = n*db_block_size
pctincrease = 0
minextents =1
2) if LMT then
only you needed is to specify uniform size ... (= n*db_block_size)

in this cases oracle will allocate new extents in round-robbin manner, each extent of a segment in next datafile

Dan Received on Fri May 16 2003 - 00:44:21 CDT