Re: Transferring a DB to a new platform WITHOUT export/import

From: Bill Mitchell <agmitch_at_xcharter.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 01:20:07 -0000

Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in news:36r2cvgs1jgbghupl0blkle8mg8u3ro841_at_4ax.com:

> Going from Oracle 8.1.7/Solaris/Sun E3500 to
> Intel-Industry-Standard-Hardware/Linux, I will by no means use
> export/import: It takes too long for a 100 GB DB. Downtime should be
> minimal.

> Thanks a lot
> Rick Denoire

If using export, check for LONG and LONG RAWs. These tables will import VERY slowly (perhaps 10 to 20 times more slowly). You should definitely transfer these in parallel if possible. Also check for custom SYS objects and grants to SYS objects, as they probably won't be transferred in the export.

Another option might be to upgrade to Oracle 9i. Then set up a standby database using the new sql apply method (can't remember what it is called). You could then have nearly instantaneous switch-over.

bill Received on Thu May 15 2003 - 20:20:07 CDT